Year 5 Victorian Day

November 28, 2013
Year 5 pupils experienced a Victorian school day last week. Children and staff dressed in authentic outfits and teachers even carried canes. Strict discipline was maintained throughout the day. Any child who broke the rules had to stand in the corner and wear the dunce's hat - or worse!


"Walking into the classroom, shivering in fear, I was petrified. That wasn’t the scary part, the scary part was when the cane arrived to smack me 6 times!" (Ryan)

"I was not very scared when I went into the class until Jessica got told off for forgetting her spellings. We were not allowed to talk to the boys or the other year groups at playtime. There was only one boy called Ryan who got the cane because he was talking in the line and cheating but don’t worry Mrs Golding did not really hurt him." (Ntito)

"On Friday all of Year 5 had Victorian day. I was so scared I was shaking and Mrs Wiggins checked all of our nails to see if they were clean and if they weren’t you had to go in the corner with the dunce’s hat. I got the dunce’s hat for slouching. No-one was allowed to smile or laugh. Ryan got the cane for cheating in English." (Megan)

"Mrs Wiggins was very scary and strict." (Lewis)

"I was shaking and sweating as soon as we went into school. If I was at home, I would of burst into tears! By the end of the day I had got the hang of it. I was happy to go home!" (Taylor)

"Victorian day was hard for the whole class but towards the end we started to get used to it. When someone got the cane everyone was so scared but then Mrs Wiggins told us it was fake." (Abi)

"Victorian day is extremely scary. Before you go, be prepared - trust me you don’t want to get the cane! You have to be in a separate line to the boys otherwise you get shouted at. If you don’t sit up straight you’ll get the dunce's cap and stand in the corner." (Heidi)




Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Blog Archive