Provision for Hearing Impaired Children: Deaf National Primary Swimming Finals

January 24, 2019

Our Provision for Hearing Impaired Children were invited to enter a team for the Deaf National Primary Swimming Finals held at the London Aquatics Centre, Queen Elizabeth Park. The Panathlon Challenge is a national charity which provides sporting opportunities for over 17,500 disabled young people each year. Over 1,000 schools across the country take part in ‘mini Paralympic’ multi-sport competitions for secondary or primary school children, along with dedicated football, boccia and swimming programmes. Twelve schools took part in this event, entering fourteen teams in total.

Our enthusiastic team of eight children - from Year 3 to Year 6 - travelled by train to the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. On arrival they took a quick look at the London Stadium, home to West Ham United, and the ArcelorMittal Orbit. They competed in a range of events including Freestyle individual 25m and 10m races, a freestyle relay race as well as some fun group races such as slam dunk/ball shuttle swim, a raft race and a treasure hunt.

Out of 14 teams, Hacton came 7th – a fabulous start to our Panathlon involvement. More details of this fantastic event are available on the Panathlon website

This day was a great opportunity for some of our pupils to compete with their deaf peers in a fabulous environment. All of the children enjoyed the experience and are looking forward to taking part in other events this year.


Hacton P-HIC Swimmers:

“I am grateful that I was able to take part because it’s was a national competition held in the actual Olympic and Paralympic swimming pool. The Olympic and Paralympic swimmers actually swam there.” (Year 6 pupil)

“I really liked the raft race because we worked as a team to get the raft to the other end of the pool. We didn’t stop laughing.” (Year 6 pupil)

“I really liked the first race I did as I came first in my heat. I felt so proud and I did not expect it. It was the best swimming pool. It was cool because we know the floor can be raised up.” (Year 6 pupil)

“I liked swimming because I started racing with a float but in my last race I did it without the float. I felt happy. I liked my dad and my nanny watching me because I felt proud.” (Year 3 pupil)

“I liked representing our school in a deaf competition because I like to challenge myself.” (Year 6 pupil)

“At the end we all sat down in rows so that we knew which school was which and then we had a medal presentation. Everyone received a medal. It was nice and shiny and I wore it at school the next day” (Year 5 pupil)

“I liked the slam dunk/ball shuttle swim because we had to pass the ball to each other and through it in the basket at the end and I liked the treasure hunt because they were fun races.” (Year 5 pupil) "

"I like swimming.” (Year 5 pupil)


Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Blog Archive