Year 1 DT: moving pictures

December 05, 2019
Across the half term, Year 1 have been creating moving pictures for their DT unit on simple machines. They made a moving frog using split pins and a pivot mechanism, as well as a picture of an ice-skating snowman using a sliding mechanism.

For their DT task in the run-up to Christmas, Year 1 had to make a Christmas-themed moving picture that appealed to children. The children evaluated their work to assess where they could make improvements.

Some reflections included:

“Last time I cut through the snowman’s scarf, so I need to be more careful when cutting.”

“Last time I put too much glue on, so I was more careful this time.”


The children then had to choose whether to use a slider mechanism or a pivot mechanism before they made their final product. The children explained why they had chosen their designs:

“I chose a pivot because it’s really fun to play with.”

“I did a pivot because it’s really fun to slide it round in circles and you can move it more up and down.”

“I chose a slider to make it on a tall slider stick.”


Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Blog Archive