Derek the Butterfly

July 04, 2014
One of our Year 6 pupils wanted to share his enthusiasm for nature with his classmates. He was given a butterfly kit for his birthday and he told fellow pupils all about it:

"My dad bought me a butterfly kit for my birthday. When I got it, we had 5 eggs. They turned into  caterpillars, then pupas and then they emerged as a butterflies. It took about 3 weeks for each of them to turn into pupas then a week for them to turn into butterflies. When they were caterpillars they were in a box and the food was already in with them. When they turned into pupas we transferred them into the special butterfly habitat. We had to put some banana and apple in with them, score the fruit with a knife and drizzle sugar and water over it. 5 butterflies emerged and I released the other 4 into my garden but this one can't fly. The species of butterfly is the painted lady and we named this one Derek!

"I feel like I'm helping butterflies by adding to the population. I want to go into something to do with nature when I am older, like be part of a club that's supporting nature."

Update: later in the day, Derek found his wings and flew away!


Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Blog Archive